Friends, I love everything about food. I cherish my Monday trips to the grocery store — and would totally dominate Supermarket Sweep (which is returning to TV, amen). I even enjoy putting it away in the kitchen. Of course, cooking and EATING are also two of my favorite things. My second stop after waking (you guess the first) is the kitchen. On most days, my best breakfast is the all-American kind. Scrambled eggs and wheat toast typically do the trick. But my new morning routine is mixing up the menu.
My husband, who typically travels for work, is staffed locally a project. Yep, back to the pure joy of living with a man 24/7 *wink*. As part of this whole living together thing, I drop him off at work before I head into the office. That means we’re leaving a bit earlier than I’m used to.
Enter smoothies. They’re quick, sippable, and the best breakfast for versatility.
Here’s how my morning looks these days:
1. Peel off the comforter. Usually, it’s an easy job. But with Chicago temperatures plummeting, it’s a challenge. Especially because our Nest thermostat, which “adapts as life and seasons change”, hasn’t learned crap about my specific temperature needs since we got it six months ago. Whatever. Shivering = saving money.
2. That thing you’re supposed to guess up in the first paragraph.
3. Tiptoe to the kitchen. Our downstairs neighbor isn’t happy when we “walk like the Jolly Green Giant”.
4. Retrieve smoothie ingredients. This seems much more productive and satisfying when done the Rachael Ray way – everything in one load. Sometimes successful, sometimes not.
5. Fill the Ninja and let ‘er roar. In 60 seconds, the blender mixes up a colorful, satisfying smoothie and also serves as an improvised alarm clock for my husband.
6. Pour the smoothie in a glass. I also get a kick out of using my happy reusable smoothie straws, like these.
7. Walk to the bedroom to confirm Ninja awakened Husband.
8. Sip, get ready, go!
Over years of fiddling with every diet out there, I’ve perfected my favorite smoothie base and created enough variations for a five-day work week. Check ‘em out below and leave your fave in the comments. Cheers!
Best Breakfast Smoothies
10 ounces Unsweetened Almond Milk. Or dairy milk/nut milk/water.
½ banana. Frozen, or not.
1 cup Spinach. I’m not a huge fan of raw vegetables and often trick myself into eating them, you know, like parents do with their children. I can’t taste the spinach at all.
1 serving Protein Powder. I use Orgain Organic Protein Powder in Sweet Vanilla Bean, which is plant-based. I totally prefer the texture and taste of whey protein, but my gut does not.
Handful of ice.
Calories: 280 | Fat: 7.5g | Fiber: 8.8g | Carbs: 36g | Sodium: 559mg | Protein: 25g
Apple Pie: ¼ teaspoon Apple Pie Spice + 2 tablespoons Unsweetened Almond Butter
Mint Chocolate Chip: 2 drops Peppermint Extract + ½ Avocado + 1 tablespoon Chocolate Chips
Oatmeal Cookie: ¼ cup Old Fashioned Oats + 1 teaspoon Allspice + ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
PBJ: 2 tablespoons Unsweetened Nut Butter + 1 cup Frozen Strawberries + 2 teaspoons Honey
Green: ½ Avocado + 1 cup Frozen Pineapple Chunks or ¼ cup Pineapple Juice + Honey to taste